Homemade Healthy Hummus
*Recipe from Shuna Herscovitz.
The perfect healthy dip to take to a Christmas party or just to keep in the fridge to snack on with some raw veggies.
- 1 tin chick peas
- 2-4 Tbsp tahini – can add more or less depending how strong you’d like it.
- Half tsp good quality himalayan rock salt
- Quarter cup lemon juice
- 1 good tsp ground cumin
- 2 ice cubes
- Olive oil to serve
Steps to follow
- Remove the skins off the chickpeas.
- This can take about 10 minutes so grab some bowls and do it in front of the tv or something.
- It is really worth it to take the skins off as it makes a much smoother hummus.
- Blend the chickpeas in a blender until very smooth.
- This can take a while so don’t be tempted to add he other ingredients too soon.
- Now add all the other ingredients (except the olive oil) and blend.
Once the ice cubes have been fully absorbed into the hummus, test its consistency. If it is too thick, add an extra ice cube or some cold water.
Now season to taste, you might want to add a little extra lemon or cumin. It is up to you.
Options for toppings:
- Olive oil
- A few whole chickpeas
- Toasted pine nuts
- Pomegranate seeds
Options for serving:
- Raw veggies
- Corn chips
- Pita bread
- Focaccia bread
- Falafel wraps
- Anything else you like!
Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fibre. They are also high in potassium, magnesium and iron.